This tip comes from the ‘Mastering Your Blackberry Device’ presentation given by Andrew Bocking at WES 2005. Here is his tips on extending battery life.
1. Use the Auto On/Off feature (Options –> Auto On/Off) to have the device automatically power off and power on overnight.
2. When wireless coverage is not needed users should â€œTurn Wireless Offâ€.
3. Within the Profiles application on the device try to minimize the number of notifications for often-occurring events like new email messages. Chose between tone, vibrate or LED notifications to minimize the absolute number of notification types for such common events.
4. For new Bluetooth-enabled BlackBerry devices when the user is not using Bluetooth they should â€œTurn Bluetooth Offâ€.
5. Lastly, when you are not using your device put it in the holster as this will power off the LCD screen to conserve power!