Blackberry Software, Reviews, and News!

Ask Us! Syncing Blackberry with Hotmail

Kelli asked us,

I just bought a Blackberry and wanted to receive my Hotmail on it but can’t figure out how, can you help please.

The free Hotmail that many of us use is unable to integrate, you must subscribe to MSN Hotmail Plus in order to integrate your Hotmail account with your BlackBerry account. If you attempt to integrate a regular Hotmail account, the following error message appears:

Cannot integrate the email account! Please check your information and try again.

The extra charge of $19.95 is very reasonable, with Hotmail plus you get 2 gigs of space, ability to send larger files, and the ability to integrate with Outlook and subsequently your Blackberry. If you’re not a fan of paying for email, then you can always sign up to Google’s Gmail which you can setup to integrate with your Blackberry.

12 Responses to “Ask Us! Syncing Blackberry with Hotmail”

1. Simon
    November 16th, 2005 11:54

An easy free way to do it is to forward your hotmail to your BlackBerry Web Client. And change your reply address to have your hotmail address on outgoing email. This is what I am doing with my GMail account and it works great. And it is a lot faster than using the POP account.

2. Dave
    November 16th, 2005 16:08

Hotmail does not allow email forwarding. I currently have Hotmail Plus and I’m still unable to get it to register my BlackBerry. MSN/Hotmail doesn’t seem to open the POP3 ports and/or don’t allow users to access the email from any other application, except Outlook/Outlook Express/MSN.com. Maybe in the new version (out soon) of Hotmail they will match up with Google Gmail and Yahoo Mail….?

3. WNO
    November 16th, 2005 16:34

I think the post omits two important points:

(1) T-Mobile does not permit integration with Hotmail accounts, whether or not the Plus version has been purchased; and

(2) Hotmail Plus is NOT required for Hotmail accounts that have been around for a year or so; only the newer accounts have this limitation.

And in response to Simon’s post, Hotmail does not, unlike Gmail, allow you to simply forward mail to your blackberry.net account. You can set up desktop applications to poll your Hotmail account and autoforward messages to your BB, but Hotmail does not have this feature built-in.

4. Dave
    November 17th, 2005 10:19

Thank you WNO. You’re correct in that I have a T·Mobile BlackBerry, hence no Hotmail access. Bummer!

5. Jules
    January 1st, 2006 08:37

Cheated!! The BlackBerry website says I can connect to Hotmail Plus with my BlackBerry. After spending $250 on a BlackBerry and signing a 2 year contract, I’m told that T-Mobile BLOCKS Hotmail access. T-Mobile cheated me. And BlackBerry, which is a T-Mobile business partner, has abandoned its loyal customers.

Good bye, BlackBerry! It’s cheaper for me to buy a Windows telephone than to break my 2-year contract with T-Mobile.

Jules in Chicago

6. Trey
    January 31st, 2006 17:42

I have a T-Mobile Blackberry and there is a workaround. Go to Mobile.msn.com on your blackberry and you can check your hotmail. It doesn’t auto pop up like a POP3, but you can check it manually.

7. Wayne
    February 13th, 2006 17:22

Thanks Trey. Isn’t pretty, but it works. -w

8. Wayne
    February 13th, 2006 17:54

We’ll… actually… not t-mobile is blocking access when entering again.

The first time I was able to view all my hotmail.

The second, I get “access forbidden”.

The third time, I get “HTTP Error 404: Not found”.

Bummer, -w

9. Murtz
    April 11th, 2006 20:29

Hotmail told me that mailgov will work to solve the syncing with hotmail problem. I can’t get through to the downloading site for this at mailgov.com

Any ideas?

10. Luis
    April 17th, 2006 13:57

Rim told me to check out Pop3hot.com They have a program called IZYMAIL that works like Mailgov I wont get my BB until May so I wont be able to check it out till then. But if any of you figure it please let me know. Thanks.

11. David
    April 27th, 2006 12:29

I checked out Izymail, but I found it much easier to upgrade my free Hotmail account to Hotmail Plus. I’m glad that I did since the adds that Hotmail puts into each email and the banner adds were annoying. With Hotmail Plus there are no ads. That alone is worth $20 a year. Plus, the extra storage and the ability to get emails sent to my Blackberry are great bonuses.

12. Paul
    May 3rd, 2006 02:14

GetMail for Hotmail will work to forward Hotmail to another account if you have an old Hotmail account. If you’ve got a later account you can use GetMail with onen of the many free Hotmail>POP3 convertors such as FreePOPS to forward on these. Totally free and works quite well.