PERSONAL and Research In Motion today announced plans to launch the BlackBerry wireless platform in Argentina. PERSONAL Argentina plans to offer the BlackBerry 7290, the BlackBerry 7100g, BlackBerry Enterprise Server and BlackBerry Internet Service to mobile professionals in Argentina, beginning in early December. “PERSONAL is the first cellular operator to launch BlackBerry in Argentina. Historically, PERSONAL has been a leader in the introduction of innovative technology in the country, from Turbo Mail to TV Movil. The BlackBerry solution will become a competitive advantage that allows PERSONAL’s customers to improve efficiency in corporate wireless communications,” said PERSONAL General Manager, Guglielmo Noya.
“The popularity of BlackBerry continues to grow around the world and we are extremely pleased to be working with PERSONAL to bring BlackBerry to Argentina,” said Mark Guibert, Vice President, Corporate Marketing at Research In Motion. “BlackBerry offers a unique mobile experience that can significantly enhance flexibility and productivity for individuals and corporations alike.”
The Java-based BlackBerry 7290 and BlackBerry 7100g features include:
- Phone, email, text messaging, browser and organizer applications in a single wireless handheld
- High resolution display that supports more than 65,000 colors while maintaining exceptional battery life
- 32 MB flash memory plus 4 MB SRAM for application and data storage
- Java(TM) development environment for additional applications based on open standards
- Push-based wireless connectivity
- Full-featured connected organizer
- Integrated attachment viewing (including support for popular file formats such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, WordPerfect, PDF ASCII, JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIFF and PNG)
- Cradle-free wireless synchronization of email and organizer
- Compact form factor with a light and comfortable feel
- BluetoothÂ® support for wireless headsets and car kits
- Quad-band support for 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS wireless networks around the world
The BlackBerry 7100g also incorporates SureType(TM) keyboard technology. SureType effectively converges a phone keypad and a QWERTY keyboard to fit elegantly within the size of a traditional wireless phone design. Through an integrated keyboard and software system, SureType provides users with an instinctively familiar look and feel and enables them to dial phone numbers and type messages quickly, accurately and comfortably.
For corporate customers, BlackBerry Enterprise Server(TM) tightly integrates with MicrosoftÂ® Exchange, IBM LotusÂ® Domino(TM) and Novell GroupWise(TM) enterprise systems to enable secure, push-based, wireless access to e-mail and other corporate data.
For individuals and smaller businesses, BlackBerry Internet Service(TM) allows users to access up to ten corporate and/or personal email accounts (including Microsoft Exchange, IBM Lotus Domino and most popular ISP email accounts) from a single device.
There are currently more than four million BlackBerry subscribers around the globe.