Weekend Contest: “Pearl — ‘Nuff Said”

The Weekend Contests have been a little anemic lately. It’s not anyone’s fault, really — there just hasn’t been any news recently worth talking about. This week changes everything, however; there’s no longer any excuse not to post a thought provoking (or Thought Provoking) comment to win sweet, sweet prizes. Tell us what you think about the name. Tell us what you think about RIM’s consumer push. Tell us what you think about the Pearl coming to T-Mobile first. Tell us what you think about its new features. Tell us what you think about it not having a scroll wheel. Tell us why you might want to wait for an 8700-styled version. No matter what you think, just make sure to tell us.

In celebration of the Pearl’s consumer multimedia focus, the person with the best comment will receive 3 free Magmic games, and a $20 iTunes gift certificate. LAST WEEK’S WINNER was Melissaox, who won for having the best post of the bunch. =D

steven
August 11th, 2006 at 12:41 pm

I am in the market for a smartphone. I was leaning toward a Treo, but a friend recently purchased a 7200 series and it is quite impressive. I have never had a thumbboard or a scroll wheel so I am unsure of whether I would miss them.

I hope they are going to put out a best of breed more like the 8700 series with all the options ready to go. Great screen, memory expansion, bluetooth, voice dialing, Wi-Fi.

RIM has concentrated on the Fortune 1000 which has pushed them toward a very stable product. But there are many of us in smaller businesses that need the same services. We need a connection point whether by wireless or Wi-Fi. Perhaps more so as we don’t have a team of people back at the office monitoring calls and mail.

I think once the installed “consumer” market reaches a critical mass, developers will have great new software out soon. Most corporate IT depts. dictate what is on their BBs. Heaven help anyone who strays from the “supported” list. Individual consumers have the freedom to experiment with new software and workflows.

Though T-mobile doesn’t do me much good, once this hits the market other carriers will need to have a similar offering. Lets hope Verizon doesn’t drag its feet as usual.

Aaron
August 11th, 2006 at 3:35 pm

It’s named pearl because of the white pearl in the middle as a scroll ball.

moog
August 11th, 2006 at 4:08 pm

The name: For me, the name “Pearl” is taking some getting used to. I’m sure that in time, it won’t matter and will become synonymous with the “BlackBerry experience”. I mean, who would have associated the word “blackberry” with mobile email, security, etc before they paved the wireless email highway?

However, I’ve been thinking more about RIM’s consumer push, and considering the multimedia features that they’re introducing, I think the name “Jam” would have been more appropriate. BlackBerry Jam! Get it? Got it? Good! It’s a lot more “fun” than Pearl, and if you’re aiming at Joe Consumer, that’s they way to go. Pearl stills sounds too sophisticated. Too business. …and let’s face it; effeminate.

As for replacing the jog wheel with the scroll ball, I dig it. It opens up a new door for application developers and allows for total one-handed use. No more alt-scroll for vertical movement! I think it’s an exciting step for BlackBerry. I look forwards to seeing what the developer and user communities think of it.

Long live BlackBerry Jam!

Clifford Villeda
August 12th, 2006 at 2:34 pm

“The Pearl”, it’s not about the color of the phone, its about its meaning. So the BB 8100, in my opinion, has earned the right to be called a pearl. A pearl is unique and this is what this BB is. This is exactly what us young bussiness people have been asking for. Kudos for the consumer push on this. A for the track wheel, I like change. And I think it will be quicker navigation since itwill be next to the key pad. And I am MOS DEF glad TMO is getting this since that is who I am currently with. So I will be upgrading! My wife is going to hate me more for it though since I am a definate CrackBerry.

Avi
August 12th, 2006 at 10:17 pm

It was only a matter of time until RIM made a push into the consumer market. Some people, like me, who value the stability and functionality of the BlackBerry over other features already have them. The Pearl is RIM going after those who would like the stability and functionality of the BlackBerry, but also want those extra features, like a camera, etc.

It was a no-brainer that a consumer Berry would show up first at T-Mobile, as of all the major cellular carriers in the USA, T-Mobile is the most consumer focused one, with companies like Cingular & Verizon being much more business focused. This will allow people to try out the BlackBerry relatively cheap (T-Mobile is not expensive), and if they ever want to move away from T-Mobile due to coverage issues (like myself) they will be hooked and buy a BlackBerry at their next carrier, even if it costs a bit more (again, I did the same thing.)

The lack of a scroll wheel might keep some business users away from this specific model because one handed operation would become more difficult, but this model isn’t aimed at them anyways.

The name, Pearl, comes from that RIM wants this to be the perfect mobile device for consumers, becoming a “pearl” in their eyes.

SigmaAlpha Epsilon
August 13th, 2006 at 3:01 pm

All I know is, Tetris is now available for download on Handmark.com…Also the scroll wheel is better than the trackball BECAUSE it is bi-directional, what makes BB great is the simple and functional OS, and when you start trackin-around with it, it becomes…Sidekick III (pause for gag)..As far as looks go, as long as its reliable with a big screen and maintains its intuitive interface; paint it, put rhinestones on it for all I care as long as it works like my 7290 did and 8700 do its all gravy for me..mmm gravy!!!

J R Mortland III (Bob)
August 13th, 2006 at 5:16 pm

I had no idea that it was that small. That is awesome.

nm156
August 14th, 2006 at 7:38 pm

To moog:

Funny you should mention that. Just saw a Sprint ad for their new 7130. It wastes a perfectly good opportunity to showcase it.

I can certainly agree with your point. However, you’d figure RIM was capable of engaging with their carrier partners in some joint advertising ventures. Or at least hire an advertising firm to do this for them.

RIM ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 15th, 2006 at 7:03 pm

AWESOME AWESOME PHONE !!!
GOOD JOB RIM U ROCK AND ALL YUR HARD WORK YALL SHOULD BE PAYED MILLIONS GOOD JOB EVERY BODY BUY THE PEARL AND THE NAME IS PERFECT BECAUSE THE DEVICE IS A SHINY “BLACK” PEARL!! AND YEAH THE PIRRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN ROCKED SO IT ATRACTS COUSTOMERS!!!!!!!!!11

Badonkadonk
August 16th, 2006 at 8:14 pm

d_fisher: No, Pearl is not the internal code-name, “Stealth” was… The device is going to be marketed as the BlackBerry Pearl, or alternately the BlackBerry 8100, but that’s synonymous with LG releasing their “Chocolate” phones (which also have model numbers). and Pearl apparently comes from the trackball which is sort of a pearl white.
As for advertising, RIM has *never* released advertising of their products, even through their carriers, before launch. If this drops with TMo in September, then you can expect the media frenzy of advertising for the three months before Christmas. TMo may have a 3-month exclusive on it - Cingular had something like that for the 8700. But you can bet that every other EDGE carrier globally will be getting this eventually. Verizon / Sprint will likely be left in the cold - there isn’t even a CDMA version of the 8700 out yet (8702?), so why expect then to have a CDMA version of this anytime soon? I’d expect a UMTS version for Vodafone to roll out before Verizon (the 8707 has been out for months now).

I’d be interested to know what other features got packed into 4.2 though… voice-activated dialing, media player, camera… what about Bluetooth? DUN? A2DP? Sadly I’ll have to wait until this comes out for Rogers to find out :(

BlackBerry Cool » Official Pearl Announcement Sept 6th?
August 22nd, 2006 at 1:32 pm

[…] Unstrung.com is reporting a hot little tidbit of news that should get the rumor mill going about the BlackBerry Pearl. Apparently, RIM sent out a note yesterday morning inviting journalists to an “exclusive BlackBerry press event” in London on September 6th emceed by a number of top RIM executives. The event will supposedly feature “an exciting development with BlackBerry.” […]