BlackBerry 8300 Bluetooth — Files, Pictures, & Stereo Headphones

As part of BlackBerry Cool’s quest to bring our readers the most in-depth coverage of the latest BlackBerry devices, we commissioned infamous “RogersDude69” to breakdown the BlackBerry 8300’s Bluetooth functionality, which unlike most BlackBerrys, isn’t crippled more than a one-legged pirate with termites. Although, as RogersDude69 is quick to point out, the experience isn’t always the best.

The BlackBerry Curve is the first BlackBerry to include an open OBEX protocal, allowing you to send and receive files from other devices using Bluetooth, to use the device as a remote control for your home theater system, as well as the ability to use a stereo Bluetooth Headset. This is really starting to become the one device that does everything I need it to.

Let’s start by compairing the Bluetooth Profiles from the Pearl to the Curve.

As you can see, there’s more services for the Curve. The Audio Source Services is definitely for the Stereo Bluetooth. The A/V Remote Control Target is for using your Curve as.. A Remote Control. This has the potential to be used for your Laptop and your Presentations, and to control your home theater system in your house or in your car.

Eric
May 17th, 2007 at 2:24 pm

uh - how about the most important part? can you sync over bt? does it have to have a microsoft stack? jeez, get with it!

fuckeric
May 17th, 2007 at 5:17 pm

@eric

wtf are you a BB noob? This feature has been around forever ..

please step away from your computer, and off yourself..

WooHoo! The BlackBerry Curve’s Bluetooth Isn’t Crippled | RIMarkable | The official, unofficial BlackBerry Weblog
May 17th, 2007 at 9:06 pm

[...] Well, that’s all changed now. According to BlackBerry Cool insider RogersDude69 the BlackBerry Curve has an open OBEX protocol allowing you to send and receive files to and from other devices on your device and that’s not all. [...]

Simon
May 18th, 2007 at 6:54 am

You should’ve heard the one he wanted to use before that.

flyguy
September 12th, 2007 at 3:43 pm

Can someone please help me?I need to kno if and who i can transfer my phone numbers (address book)from the 8700 to the 8300

andrea
January 26th, 2008 at 3:34 pm

My Blackberry Curve is wonderful except for the Bluetooth connectivity to my car’s handfree feature. I have a 2006 Acura TL with Navigation which supports Bluetooth connections with all cellphones. I had no problems in the past with my very basic Nokia phone; I did not have to do anything to allow a connection. It very frustrating that I do not instantly have a Bluetooth connection when I get in the car. If my phone is locked, the message that asks if I want to allow a connection does not even appear. I must go to Settings Options find Bluetooth and then wait for the connection. Lately the connection is sometimes even failing. Last night I could not get a Handsfree connection.

I purchased this Blackberry Curve on January 4, 2008. What is going on? I drive a lot and do not want to have to think about giving handsfree permission to my phone each and every time I get into the car. I never had this problem before. HELP.

Norbert
January 30th, 2008 at 8:22 pm

I’m having the same problem. Bluetooth conectivety has worked flawlessly with my car until a few day ago. Now, it doesn’t work at all. I have tried to reset everything and the car and phone find each other, then, as soon as I try to make a call it craps out.

Whats going on???

JBJB2k4
March 29th, 2008 at 8:35 pm

I can’t figure out how to send files from PC to Blackberry via bluetooth. And YES i’m a noob! MOstly I want to send pictures cuz i can send mp3s.

Judy
September 8th, 2008 at 8:18 am

I have a blackberry pearl curve 8300. I can’t get my bluetooth to work. I am new to this. How do you get this to work. Thanks