The second-largest telecom in the Philippines, Globe, announced the arrival of the BlackBerry 8300 today, but is aiming the device at business customers rather than the usual consumer angle the device seems to fall into. While the camera might deter hardcore corporate users, for smaller businesses that aren’t as sensitive about cameras being around, the Curve is an entirely viable product, and probably more enjoyable to use in their off-time. Globe will be selling the BlackBerry 8300 for PHP21,100 sometime this month, and is free if you’re subscribed to their 2,000 BlackBerry plan.
Manila, Philippines — Globe Telecom and Research In Motion (RIM) introduces the new BlackBerry Curve wireless handset in the Philippines. The BlackBerry Curve will be available to Globe’s corporate customers through its Enterprise Business Group (EBG).
The BlackBerry Curve is the smallest and lightest full QWERTY BlackBerry handset, featuring a smooth and friendly design and delivering the renowned BlackBerry email and messaging experience, premium phone features, intuitive trackball navigation system, 2 megapixel camera, fast web browsing and powerful multimedia capabilities
“Globe has always been at the forefront of innovation and the new BlackBerry Curve, with its power and simplicity, is an innovative and attractive mobile solution for our corporate clients,” said Jesus C. Romero, Head of the Enterprise Business Group. “Globe customers can now stay connected to the people and information that matter most, using a BlackBerry mobile solution that is both stylish and functional.”
“The BlackBerry Curve is a powerful and easy-to-use communications tool that helps people be more productive and successful in their personal and professional lives,” said Norm Lo, Vice President of Asia Pacific at RIM. “The BlackBerry Curve combines an impressive array of features that are important to mobile professionals and we are very pleased to be working with Globe to bring this well-balanced handset to the Philippine market”.
The BlackBerry Curve from Globe features:
• A small and light design with smooth edges and a liquid silver finish with chrome highlights. It measures 107mm x 60mm x 15.5mm and weighs approximately 111 grams.
• A powerful new media manager application included with the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software. The Roxio Media Manager for BlackBerry, which was developed with Sonic and based on the award-winning Roxio Easy Media Creator 9, introduces a new level of simplicity, allowing users to easily search for media files on their computer, view and organize them, create MP3 music files from CDs, add audio tags, create playlists and automatically copy or convert pictures, music and videos for optimal playback on the BlackBerry Curve
• A 2.0 mega pixel camera with 5x digital zoom, built-in flash, self-portrait mirror and full screen viewfinder. The camera can capture images in up to three picture quality and size resolutions that can be quickly shared via email, MMS, BlackBerry Messenger or Bluetooth. Photos can also be set as a unique caller IDs or Home Screen image.
• A built-in spell checker with user-customizable dictionary to help ensure accuracy of emails and other text entries.
• A microSD expandable memory slot for up to 4 GB of additional storage.
• A 3.5mm stereo headset jack, support for Bluetooth stereo audio profile (A2DP/AVRCP) and dedicated volume controls.
• EDGE/GPRS/GSM connectivity operating on Globe’s nationwide network.
• Premium phone features including noise cancellation technology to offset background noise, Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), dedicated ‘send’, ‘end’, and ‘mute’ keys, low-distortion speakerphone, and Bluetooth (2.0) support for hands-free use with headsets, car kits and Bluetooth peripherals.
• Support for polyphonic, mp3 and MIDI and RealTrax ringtones.
• Support for instant messaging with BlackBerry Messenger, Google Talk and Yahoo! Messenger.
• BlackBerry Internet Service support that allows access to up to 10 supported personal and corporate email accounts, including most popular ISP email accounts.
• BlackBerry Enterprise Server support for enterprise deployments, enabling advanced security and IT administration within IBM Lotus Domino, Microsoft Exchange and Novell GroupWise environments.
The new BlackBerry Curve is available to corporate clients of Globe through EBG in August at a price of PHP21,100 and is free at BlackBerry plan 2,000.