Report: Simplicity sells cells

iPhoneA recent report by Continental Research is showing that the vast majority of mobile users just want basic functionality, and advanced features go largely unused. The survey talked to users on O2 (who got top marks for customer service), T-Mobile, Orange and Vodafone asking subscribers if they’d prefer a less expensive, simple phone or a pricier one with all the trimmings. It’s not only that adoption of extra functions has been low, but it’s actually been shrinking over the last three years. For example, in 2005 18% of surveyed cellphone users had downloaded a ringtone in the last year, versus 10% in 2007. That gives the iPhone some hard numbers to back up its philosophy of user-friendliness, no doubt. As BlackBerry users, do you guys tend to stick with just voice and e-mail, or do you dabble in the extras, like music and GPS? Are BlackBerry users maybe more predisposed to using advanced features?

Posted by Simon Sage in News

shlammed
August 20th, 2007 at 12:44 pm

maybe thats because they have old blackberry’s that dont have multimedia support? :)

Favorite Browser
August 20th, 2007 at 2:01 pm

Off-Topic comment, can anyone tell me why does all the BB’s, for example even new Pearl 2 got a display with like 65k colors only?

morty
August 20th, 2007 at 4:20 pm

i would say bb people are more inclined to use the “bells and whistles”

getting email on your phone is now considered common…thats funny

as teens that text grow up they will be bb users for sure and gps + mp3+ cameras will also be used more

i and wife have curve and even my wife likes the cam and google maps

Bradley
August 20th, 2007 at 8:35 pm

I use my BlackBerry 8300 for everything now.. It even plugs into my bmw mp3 jack so I can listen to the mp3’s on it. I still buy off of iTunes and just use NoteBurner to convert them to mp3’s for my BlackBerry. Great thing about it all is that when I get a phone call the music mutes and my bluetooth phone integration (or headset) kicks in!

javatyger
August 20th, 2007 at 11:07 pm

I personally love all the advanced features of a cellphone and definitely would buy the “Swiss Army” phone to the basic phone only models. I shelled out the big bucks for my BlackBerry because of all the features. :-)

jp
August 26th, 2007 at 2:06 pm

Functionality is the issue. You can cram a bunch of features in, and end up like a Homer Simpson designed car: every feature, but unusable and too expensive.

If enough thought is put into the human user interface, the functions will be used. Most gadgets are designed by engineers who seem to forget that people don’t thrive on complexity.

Make it easy and intuitive to use, and it will be used.