Weekly Contest: Write an open letter to RIM

Impatica ShowMateWe’ve really got to give props to the Engadget boys for their open letter to Palm. For a company that’s clearly having trouble, sometimes tough love is the only way out of the rut. It was even enough to warrant immediate response from Palm’s CEO. Now, given that RIM’s doing a hell of a lot better than Palm right now, a little constructive criticism never hurt, right? (Well, minus the bruised ego, the sense of hopelessness, the awkward re-adapting to new standards, the inevitable failing to meet them, and the tenuous reassessment which generally results in doing the whole damn thing over again).

Given RIM’s position, maybe some praise is in order, too. After all, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. So, BBCool readers, this week we ask: what’s in your open letter to RIM? Praise? Hate? What’s in Engadget’s letter that you would include? What could be left out? Feel free to either write the letter out in full, or just give the bullet points. Instead of the usual Bplay goodies for the best comment, this week we’re giving away our Impatica ShowMate, worth a whooping $249.99. Take a look at our review to see if it’s something you would get some use out of.

Here’s the clincher, guys. We know folks at RIM read the site. If you have a legitimate beef with BlackBerrys, odds of it getting heard are pretty high. As for you lurking RIM employees, maybe you’ve got something to say to the boss that isn’t quite working its way through the pipes. Now is your chance to don some anonymity and voice off on what needs to change internally or externally.

LAST WEEK’S WINNER, and only entrant, is Steven Low, who offered an insightful approach that involved RIM balancing their masters a bit better, and giving more attention to consumers. We’ll be in touch with you soon to get you three games from Bplay.

Jody Dunn
August 24th, 2007 at 2:31 pm

Dear RIM,
You guys are on a roll, market share increasing, a steady stream of progressively sexier devices along 3 different tracks( Pearl Curve and 8800)each with a nice niche and loyal following. You have the world on a string… so don’t let the MAN carry your parts in his pocket. You have choice: either become a full blown stooge of the carriers and produce handests with only features they will use, or be a “big boy” and dis-allow the “crippling” of devices with feature-sets you have (and based on your track record, very accurately) deemed merktable and appropriate.

Creating devices that the carrries won’t let us fully ustilize makes me wonder what you were thinking…. And its pretty wimpy besides.

It would seem that perceived consumer demand can make a carrier do ANYTHING. (Sidebar: Did you know that AT&T WILL NOT sell iphone through a business plan AT ALL. It cannot be purchased Period.?? ) So why not show confidence in the pull of your own terrific product line by growing a spine with AT & T and Verizon? My Pearl will do rings around an Iphone so put a guy on TV and let him show off his 4gb Pearl at $200 bucks including the chip!!

You have everything else going in your direction. Among them a brilliant strategy of creating a stream of products that incorporate the new “gotta have” features one or two at a time and in doing so, keeping us all on the edge of our seat for the Next rendition. We have figured out that “Papa bear” is a myth, but a shrewd one, since by the time it’s here, we will have a new whish list of features. The truth is that we love your stuff so much we don’t care.

In closing think of this letter as wordly advice from your drunken best friend who loves you…. ” You are the BOMB, dude! Grow a Pair and act like it!

By the way, 3g would be nice too. Sigh…maybe in Grand Papa Bear…..

d_fisher
August 24th, 2007 at 3:38 pm

RIM,

For the sake of your corporate customers please STANDARDIZE!

I support 3000 BlackBerry devices ranging from the first device capable of OS 4.0 to the latest OS 4.2 device. Our BES servers show over 20 different carriers across those 3000 device. Just a few years ago it was easy to support and provide documentation to the end-users. Today, its a nightmare trying to create documentation because of all the possible .

I understand that the carriers drive a lot of changes. But every new device is different than the one release just a month before. Why can’t you require that certain icons have a particular name and location across all devices and themes.

I fear that RIM will lose corporate customers if they continue down the road they are on. I don’t see the BlackBerry going anywhere soon. But how long did it take for Palm to fall where it is now?

Doug

Orlando
August 25th, 2007 at 2:25 am

RIM,

I am a new BlackBerry convert who has been reading up about your company, your services and most of all your great phones. I have been using various Nokias and Sony Ericssons for the past 14 years, but will finally make the switch to you because of what I have learned about you and of your upcoming 8820.

Since I have read up on you, I am hoping that you are listening to your loyal followers and consider some constructive input that may help catapult your company and products into greater successful heights.

1. Please consider direct-selling your great phones. Unlocked and carrier-brand-free. Nokia and Sony Ericsson do. There are those of us willing to shell out the extra dollars just to be free to choose our carrier.

2. Please consider creating an 88xx, Curve or Pearl that features a Camera/Wi-Fi/GPS/Quad band GSM/3G HSDPA UMTS combo. It would be a big help for us travelers as we have less gadgets to carry, and I certainly would like my BlackBerry to be that one gadget that’s always with me.

3. Lastly, keep up the good work!

Your new customer and soon-to-be loyal fan,
Orlando

bertie bassett
August 25th, 2007 at 4:40 am

props to d_fisher for his comment on standardisation. I’m really surprised that theres not an option to control the theme/icon layout from the BES. From a helpdesk perspective it’s a pain in the butt rembering that John Doe is on carrier z and therefore their icon for options looks different to Jane Doe’s on carrier y. Plus manually re-setting the lock icon to the top left (in my view the most logical place for it) on every device deployment just wastes yet more time.

If I had $0.01 for every time I said “its the icon to the right of the one with the clock on it” I’d be able to retire now..

Cristina Go
August 26th, 2007 at 6:25 am

Dear RIM,

I have been a long-time user of the Palm Treo. My first encounter with the Blackberry started with the 7200 series. At that time, I noted how reliable it was as a phone and email unit. Because it lacked the bells and whistles of the Treo (no camera, no expansion, lack of useful medical applications), I switched back to my Treo.

I played around with the BB8700, and again switched back to a Treo (650, then 680).

Then came the BB Pearl, which I felt is the first BB with such innovation that it made me leave the Treo…for good.

Now, I am using the BB Curve. I couldn’t wait for the next BB that will incorporate the coolness and usefulness of the Curve, but also has GPRS/Wifi.
You have come a long way, baby.

Anyway, my only gripe at this point in time is the lack of Office-like applications to read and edit Word/Powerpoint/Excel files. Sure, there is a horribly expensive but buggy application called eOffice but I would love to have a “Documents-To-Go” application that hopefully will be available, if not, built-into the BB OS.

Thank you again for your continued innovation.

DocGo

R.T. Fitch
August 27th, 2007 at 2:17 pm

Dear RIM;

Please feel free to relax as this note is coming your way with kudos and not bad news. I, for one, love my Blackberry. I once thought that I had found true love with the 7100g, but then the 8800 walked into my life and man, I was smitten.

The bulk of my work takes me across the ocean to a very dangerous and undeveloped country in West Africa. Hardwire communication is sporadic at best…that goes for not only land lines, but also for electricity on a whole. But by some weird quirk of fate, the cell systems seem to stay up and running 95 percent of the time AND this year one of them started to offer wireless data streams for the BB and I am here to tell you, my life has changed for the better.

For an increase in monthly billing of only $20.00 I get all the corporate email and websurfing that I can eat and eat I do. It’s a byte fest.

Thanks, I am niw in second by second touch with not only my business associates but my family. I can browse hometown websites and check out what’s happening back at the house from news to weather. It would be cool to stream, that would be the ultimate.

But keep at it guys, you are making my life much more tolerable and in so doing, keeping me more sane…I think?!?! Did I mention that I am in love with my BlackBerry?

Get er Done!

R.T.

Research in Motion
August 29th, 2007 at 11:36 am

[…] under Top Story, Features, WeeklyContest | Permalink | 4 comments | Add to Del.icio.us | Digg […]