Google unveils GPS-less location-detection

Google’s updated Maps to version 2.0, and the big new feature is cell-tower triangulation to find your location. This new beta program called My Location sounds a bit like SameCell, huh? Of course, if you have GPS integrated in your handheld, Google Maps can read that too. Google’s obviously keeping BlackBerry in mind, as it’s a Curve cut-out being used in the video demo, but Nokia, Java and Windows Mobile is supported too. Head on over to http://www.google.com/gmm on your mobile browser to check out the beta. Thanks, Ronen!

bbva
November 28th, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Tried it on a 8130. Shows user location estimate within a radius of 1700m. My location was at about twice that from the point indicated.

BlackBerry Beard
November 28th, 2007 at 3:28 pm

To clarify my comment with respect to bbva’s. My actual location jumps from double the edge of the light blue circle to four times that of the light blue circle. In Google’s advert scrren it used 1000m as a distance they stay within so I just doubled and quadrupled that.

BlackBerry Beard
November 28th, 2007 at 3:41 pm

I did a distance check with the web version of Google maps and the real error is huge. Its approximaelty 5 miles/8.1 km off. Not even close to either 1000 or 1700 ft. Hopefully it’ll get better in the next few days. I’ll let ya know how it goes.

Jeff
November 29th, 2007 at 11:01 am

I kind of like it. Yeah it’s not dead on, but it beats paying for verizon. If you are getting directions from your current location to you final location, and you are familiar with your current location, it’s pretty handy. My 2¢

Cliff V
November 29th, 2007 at 3:26 pm

To me it seems to really just locating the tower nearest to me, but not me in general. I have only used it at work and at home, and funny enough there is a tower from each location less than 1/4 mile away. But the blue dot seems to be in that exact location where the TOWER is. What about me! LoL ill test it out once I get my phone turned back on, couldnt pay my bill!! any donations? lol

Dave Hughes
November 30th, 2007 at 10:37 am

It seems to me that the farther I get away from a highly populated area, the worse it gets. I’m guess that if it doesn’t have three towers to triangulate your position, it gets lost. I’ve only got one tower near my rural-area house and it puts me up to 10 miles away. Other places closer to the city it puts me about 3 miles off. But at my office, it puts me right where I am correctly.
Hopefully Google can figure out a way to make it more reliable. It’s certainly a great first step.

Google Updater for BlackBerry | BlackBerry Cool
December 7th, 2007 at 12:45 pm

[...] GTalk, and Google Maps, which often get little upgrades without you noticing. New features like My Location might grab your eye and get you to go through the chore of updating, but now The Big G is making [...]

dlj
March 5th, 2008 at 6:39 am

Works perfect for me. But I do live and work in central London.