The new re-skinned Desktop Manager that was scoped out back in April is now public, available at RIM’s Desktop Manager 4.5 download site. It really doesn’t look like much more than a facelift… There are a few tweaks to the Media Manager, and support for switching to and from Windows Mobile 6 devices, but meh. At least the software doesn’t look like something out of Windows 95 anymore.
* Roxio(R) Media Manager for BlackBerry(R) smartphones: This tool now includes
- a welcome screen that summarizes a user’s media library
- a simplified tool bar and options
- browsing abilities for documents and voice notes
- improved import for media files
- support for encrypted SD cards
* Backup and restore: Enhancements for multi-service applications.
* Installation: The installation has been optimized for options and simpler dialog screens.
* Intellisync: Full support for Lotus Notes(R) 8 and support for Windows Mobile(R) 6 in the Switch Device wizard.
* Language support: The BlackBerry Desktop Manager user interface and online help are now available in Arabic, Dutch and Indonesian.
* User interface: The BlackBerry Desktop Manager user interface has been updated with a more user-friendly design.
* Automatically update the latest Device.xml and Vendor.xml files
* Support for serial devices and bulk calendar loading has been removed