Our friend Kevin over at CrackBerry.com has done it again, this getting his hands on a pre-release BlackBerry Javelin 8900. Kevin hasn’t delved too far into the Javelin’s features yet to offer the final word on the device, but his initial impression as a “Curve on steroids” is encouraging to those who want the power of the BlackBerry Bold in a smaller frame. Here’s a quick summary of the device:
Better display than the BlackBerry Bold. Hard to imagine, but true. The Javelin 8900 has a smaller screen but higher, 480 x 360 pixel resolution.
Improved camera over the Bold. A 3.2 MPx camera, with a class cover protecting the lens and flash Makes the Javelin perfect for shutterbugs.
Keypad resembles the BlackBerry 8700. The navigation buttons are also smaller than the Bold’s and you may be able to change the trackball color to gray or black.
Very different side layout. The right side of the BlackBerry Javelin features a headphone jack and Micro-USB controls in addition to volume controls and convenience key.
Good job Kevin! So are you a Bold man now or pure Javelin?
BlackBerry 8900 “Javelin” Key Features:
* Quad-band radios: GSM/GPRS/EDGE (no 3G)
* Wi-Fi b/g with UMA + GPS in one
* OS 4.6.1, featuring Safe Mode start up
* 480 by 360 high-res HVGA+ display
* 512 MHz Processor
* 256 MB onboard flash memory (more room for apps)
* Hot-swappable microSD slot – located under the battery door
* 3.2MP camera, includes auto-focus
* Glass cover – one piece glass cover will house the camera and flash, providing a very polished look and feel
* Micro USB charging/syncing port, w/ high speed data
* Dedicated Lock Button – will allow easy access to lock / hold the device when not using a holster
* “Sweet Spot” narrow keypad
* Battery Cover features a new easy to use, latch mechanism