Basic BlackBerry Application Suite Information
* Its a application that runs on Windows Mobile 6 devices
* It can startup when the device boots
* Features almost exactly the same as RIMs native OS including email & maps support
* Supports IT policies inside the application along with BlackBerry MDS
* It is based on OS 4.2.1 but that will change soon
* Navigation is through a Touchscreen, Dpad, or keyboard
* WM can connect to a separate APN, simultaneous APN connections are supported (You can connect to a carrier APN via WinMo and Blackberry APN via BAS) This is a HUGE improvement over BlackBerry connect.
There’s a bunch more information after the jump too! Make sure to check out the BlackBerry Application Suite’s Feature and Limitations list.
BlackBerry Application Suite Features
o BlackBerry Email including attachments
o RIM Instant Message clients work Gtalk, Yahoo IM, AIM, Windows Live
o Can send and receive PIN messages and BlackBerry Messenger
o Supports BES sync of calendar, tasks, address book, & memos
o PIM/Email databases, unlike BB Connect, are separate. Thus you can have two Exchange accounts (one via WM, one via BES) syncing fully.
o Browser works just like BlackBerry browser allowing or intranet access on BES
o Integrates with the phone so you can make calls and all even from links on websites
o Allows for caller ID in the phone application
o You can access your windows mobile files from the BlackBerry OS though the opposite is not possible
o You can easily switch between the BlackBerry and Windows Mobile OS
o Supports easy switching between landscape and portrait view
o It works with BIS 2.4+ or BES or both
BlackBerry Application Suite Limitations
o Blackberry Maps is there but it is not location aware.
o It cannot access physical hardware, such as GPS, Bluetooth, though since calls are through WM, you can use a BT headset.
o Video play is not supported.
o You can install most BB apps, though some may not support VGA resolutions (should be fine on HTC Kaiser, as it is QVGA)
o Currently not all WM devices are supported, only HTC Kaiser, HTC Raphael and HTC Niki. Xperia X1 support is coming down the pipe.
o App uses 32 Mb (1Mbx32 files) to simulate BB filesystem