If there is one thing that bothers me to no end about my BlackBerry Storm, it is the extreme difficulty in using it as a phone. It’s not because of call quality, which is great, or problems with dialing phone numbers via the SureTouch screen. It’s because the freaking screen doesn’t lock during a call, causing you to often accidentally hang up or mute your call. Extremely frustrating!
Thankfully, there is an application in beta right now that corrects RIM’s poor design choice. Called TalkLock, the application prevents users from accidentally pressing the screen and launching programs or functions while talking on the Storm. Disabling the lock and returning to normal phone behavior is done by swiping your finger across the screen from left to right at any time. Yes, it’s just that simple.
[ED NOTE: TalkLock is no longer in the Beta testing phase and the company is now charging for the app.]
* Automatically runs after installation, and on each reboot
* Automatically activates after phone calls are connected
* Automatically hides when phone calls are completed
* Manual unlock with “slide to unlock” function
* Menu item to re-engage lock after unlock
* Customizeable backround image (uses /home/user/TalkLock-Background.png if it exists under Device Memory)