Lopez Research (Maribel Lopez, formerly of Forrester Research) published a May 2009 report entitled Successful Mobile Deployments Require Robust Security. The report takes a look at the three levels of protection provided by a comprehensive mobile security solution in preventing unauthorized access to:
1) the device and its data,
2) data as it transits the network and
3) the corporate network.
The results of the study concluded what we already know to be true: RIM was highly rated using these criteria. The BlackBerry Enterprise Solution received a 4/4 in all categories, including overall mobile security. Lopez Research concludes that “RIM offers the most robust security solution.”
Device – Score 4/4
• Complete control of what can be executed on the device
• On device and removable media encryption supports OTA updates
Network – Score 4/4
• Encrypts the message
• Uses a cryptographic shared key system for authentication
Transmission – Score 4/4
• Routes traffic through the NOC and the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to ensure security
• Doesn’t require a VPN
Overall Mobile Security Rating – Score 4/4
• RIM provides solid security across the three areas of vulnerability.