Win a 7-day all-inclusive trip to Scandinavia this summer!
A common criticism of BlackBerry devices is that the web browsing experience needs to be closer to that of the desktop browser. Opera Mini has been filling that need with a truer desktop experience.
From the beginning, Opera have been helped by communities such as BlackBerry Cool spreading the word about the browser and sending in valuable feedback. Because of their involvement, Opera Mini has become one of the most downloaded applications for BlackBerry.
Now, the company wants to give back to the community. This summer, one lucky reader from the BlackBerry Cool community will get to visit Oslo, Norway and visit the Opera headquarters. He or she will be accompanied by a correspondent from BlackBerry Cool, who will be writing about the experience. You’ll even get to visit Linkoping, Sweden where Opera Mini is made.
How to win:
All you have to do is download Opera Mini 4.2 on your BlackBerry (if you haven’t done it already) and write a review of the browser. We’ll be taking the top 20 reviews, publishing them, and giving them each cool prizes. The best review, as judged by the editorial staff of BlackBerry Cool, will win the grand prize. Some of the other prizes include: software gift cards, accessories and an advanced preview of an unseen version of Opera Mini.
Download Opera Mini by visiting mini.opera.com using your BlackBerry browser.
Here are some guidelines for the review:
- Please keep the review to a maximum of 600 words.
- Be honest. You won’t win for writing the kindest words, but rather the most insightful piece.
- Doug’s review of the BlackBerry Bold is a great example of a well-written review.
- Robert’s review of Advanced Call Manager demonstrates the sort of pro/con analysis that should be included.
- Added points for your review if you include any video, screenshots, commentary or rich media.
- Points for personality too! Your review doesn’t have to be hilarious, but include something personal.
- Submit your review as a .doc
Contest begins Monday, June 15 and deadline for applications is Friday, July 10 at noon PDT.
Please send your entries to kyle at blackberrycool dot com with the subject “Opera Mini Review”
About Opera Mini
Opera Mini is the most popular mobile Web browser with more than 23 million users worldwide.
Opera Mini is the revolutionary Web browser that goes where you do. Designed for speed and usability, Opera Mini provides remarkably fast browsing on nearly any mobile phone—especially BlackBerry devices. Opera Mini is one of the most downloaded applications on the BlackBerry platform because of its ease of use and speed.
Opera Mini uses a remote server to pre-process Web pages before sending them to the phone. The majority of the processing and rendering is done on the servers, making it possible to access the Web without using up much of the phone’s resources.
Opera Mini 4.2 adds more language versions and offers added skin selections to personalize the look and feel of the browser. Opera Mini is renowned for its speed, as data is compressed before it is sent to the phone. This helps to keep end-user costs low, since the data delivered is kept to a minimum.
Upon downloading Opera Mini 4.2, mobile phone users will experience:
• More than 90 language versions, including the recently added Amharic, Armenian, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Kirghiz, Lingala, Marathi, Malayalam, Mongolian, Oriya, Punjabi, Pashto, Sinhala, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, Uzbek, Khmer, Kashmiri, Lao and Turkmen
• Funky new skins for personalizing the look of Opera Mini
• Opera Link support for notes, allowing users to sync their notes between the PC and Opera Mini
• Improved real time streaming protocol (RTSP) handoff. This increases the number of phones with support for mobile video.
Only North American residents are eligible.