I use BlackBerry messenger often to keep in touch with both friends and coworkers. The messenger is useful but really boring in its lack of features and functionality. The coming update to BlackBerry Messenger will come with some incredible features and changes.
The upcoming BlackBerry Messenger includes:
* Avatar support — set your own avatar using the Camera or saved photo on your device (this is displayed locally as well as shown next to your Messenger name on your friend’s buddy list)
* GPS location integration — you can now set permissions so friends can always see your location, have to request it each time, or never can see it
* Proximity sensor — we’re guessing this will let you know if you’re within a certain distance of friends (pending, of course, you’re both set to share locations freely with each other)
* Set conversation subjects — this will allow you to organize your convos on the main Messenger screen and label them with subjects to keep track of all your conversations
* Homescreen support — you can pin/sticky actual Messenger contacts directly to the homescreen for easy access!
No word on launch dates yet but it will likely come with OS 5.0. Don’t expect to be able to pick up a leaked OS 5.0 and use this though, it’s still in beta and very much a guarded secret.