Wal-Mart has a large list of BlackBerry devices that they’re offering for free with service plan conditions. While the retail giant doesn’t supply some of the high end devices such as the Bold and Storm, it does supply every device that would be in the lower to mid range of BlackBerry devices. These devices include the Pearl, Pearl Flip, Curve 83xx, Curve 8900 and the latest Curve 8520.
A big caveat with these deals is that they almost all involve signing up for 2 years worth of services that will cost you at least $125 per month. With some smart BlackBerry usage, you can generally bring your data and voice costs down to under $100 per month. This figure is easily attainable by watching over your voice minutes carefully, and leveraging SMS and email services for communication.
That means that you are committing to a $25 premium on your contract that will need to be paid over the course of 2 years (or 24 months). By those numbers, you are getting your free device at $600, when you could have it for around $200 with a contract. Like a credit card, you are paying an incredible premium for short term benefits.
Here is a list of 21 free BlackBerry devices you can get at Wal-Mart:
The BlackBerry Curve 8900
The Curve 8900 is available for free with a 2 year plan if you commit to the LetsTalk instant discount plan. This plan includes a $99.99 per month rate plan or higher and you must bundle with any feature or other plan option that runs for at least $24.99 per month or greater. So to get this device for free, you’re looking at at least $125 per month on your bill.
BlackBerry® Curve™ 8900 (T-Mobile)
The BlackBerry Curve 83XX
To get the BlackBerry Curve 83XX for free from Wal-Mart, you have to sign up for a service plan that runs you at least $69.99 per month and agree to a 2 service agreement.
Wal-Mart sells the following 83XX devices:
- BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330 Inferno (Sprint)
- BlackBerry® Curve™ 8320 Titanium (T-Mobile)
- BlackBerry® Curve™ 8320 Sunset (T-Mobile)
- BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330 Red (Sprint)
- BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330 Smartphone (Verizon Wireless)
- BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330 Titanium (Sprint)
- BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330 Smartphone in Pink (Verizon Wireless)
The BlackBerry Pearl 81XX
In order to get a free BlackBerry Pearl 81XX, you need a $149.99 instant discount for activating with T-Mobile. To get this discount, you need to be on a service plan of $99.99 per month or higher and in conjunction with any feature or bundle or any other plan option at least $24.99 per month or greater. You also have to be on a 2 year agreement.
The BlackBerry Pearl models sold at Wal-Mart include:
- BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8120 (T-Mobile)
- BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8120 Indigo (T-Mobile)
- BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8120 Black Emerald (T-Mobile)
- BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8120 Frost (T-Mobile)
- BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8130 (Sprint)
The BlackBerry Pearl Flip
In order to get a Pearl Flip for free, you will need a couple discounts and a 2 year service agreeement. The first, is a $149.99 instant discount when you activate new T-Mobile service on a plan of $99.99 per month or higher and in conjunction with any feature or bundle or any other plan option at least $24.99 per month or greater. The other discount you’ll need is a $50.01 discount that you get on top of the $149.99 discount by agreeing to the above conditions. It just automatically kicks in.
Pearl Flip models available include:
- BlackBerry® Pearl™ Flip 8220 (T-Mobile)
- BlackBerry® Pearl™ Flip 8220 Red (T-Mobile)
- BlackBerry® Pearl™ Flip 8230 (Verizon Wireless)
The BlackBerry Curve 8520
Just like the Curve 8900 deal, in order to get this device for free, you have to buy into a $99.99 per month service plan in conjunction with any feature or bundle or any other plan option that costs at least $24.99 per month or greater.
BlackBerry Curve 8520 models for sale include:
- BlackBerry® Curve™ 8520 Frost (T-Mobile)
- BlackBerry® Curve™ 8520 Black (T-Mobile)
- BlackBerry® Curve™ 8520 Black (T-Mobile Flexpay)
- BlackBerry® Curve™ 8520 Frost (T-Mobile Flexpay)
The BlackBerry 87XX
Although it’s an incredibly old model, you can actually get paid $100 to purchase an 8703e. To get this deal, you’ll need to sign on to a 2 year service plan online and receive a $100.00 mail-in rebate when you activate new Verizon Wireless service on a service plan of $79.99 per month or more.
- BlackBerry® 8703e (Verizon Wireless)
[Hat tip RJ]