The Bell Blackberry Bold 9700 has a new lock on it called the Service Provider (SP) lock. Both the original “Network” lock aka MEP2, and the new SP lock aka MEP4, are needed to unlock the Bell 9700 now. We’ve found 2 methods to do it and blogged about it on our site.
Through the eyes of a cell phone unlocker, it seems that RIM is always making an effort to tighten security on their new Blackberry devices. This time it has gone beyond RIM, with Bell and soon TELUS adding new locks on their Blackberry phones.
We like to call them “MEP4? locks instead the old MEP2 that we’ve grown so fond of. It has already been implemented on the Bell 9700 which has 2 locks – the network lock and the Service Provider (SP) lock. Unlock code developers, crackers and hackers are still in the process of developing a quick and “Instant” method for unlocking these MEP4 codes. Although we are able to unlock the Bell Blackberry Bold 9700, it’s interesting to see that RIM, Rogers and T-mobile are still using MEP2 codes for the Rogers Blackberry Bold 9700 and T-mobile Blackberry Bold 9700.
Perhaps Telus and Bell are doing this to protect their new HSDPA network? Or maybe they are passionate about retaining their clientele and keeping exclusivity of their handheld devices. Who knows? Regardless, we have discovered 2 methods to unlock the Bell Blackberry Bold 9700.
Method 1: Unlocking the Bell Blackberry Bold 9700 with IMEI & PIN#
Calculate the 2 unlock codes with just the IMEI and PIN #.
- Can be calculated accurately within 24-72 hours.
- Incorrect IMEI and PIN submissions will result in a “Not Found” code instead of returning an incorrect code due to an incorrect IMEI submission.
- Longer than normal process times.
- If your IMEI and PIN are not in the database, you will get a “Not Found” code even though everything was submitted properly.
- Very pricey compared to method 2.
Method 2: Unlocking the Bell Blackberry Bold 9700 with Blackberry Logger info:
Calculates the 2 unlock codes with a “Logger” that is read off of your phone with a third party program. This is the method we have adopted to unlock your Bell Blackberry Bold 9700.
- Accurate codes are generated within 0-48 hours.
- A great way to accurately generate all the information from your Blackberry device to avoid errors in typing your IMEI.
- Instant speeds are not available.
- Altered logs will create incorrect codes – do NOT alter when you send in your Bell 9700 logs.
The program to get your Blackberry log can be downloaded here. After getting your IMEI and MEP from the program, you can purchase your Bell Blackberry Bold 9700 unlock code. Simply enter the MEP under the “Model” section.
UPDATE: For those commenting, it’s not actually a virus/trojan. It’s a security feature called “Themida” which protects the software from being duplicated or taken apart. Certain Virus scanners say that its a trojan horse, but its nothing harmful whatsoever.