It’s pretty normal for RIM to announce something before it’s available but I thought it would be better to ignore the embargo time of 10AM EST and wait until Media Sync 3.0 was available and I can tell you to go download it. While the official download time is noon EST, I’ve been getting emails saying you can actually go right now and download it.
The latest BlackBerry Media Sync 3.0 adds 2-way photo sync with your PC via files and folders. The latest version is all about making the experience more user friendly and simple, which they have definitely done.
Here is a quick summary of the latest update:
PC to BlackBerry sync:
• Add folders for syncing with option to optimize pictures for device.
• Smart memory management: optimizes photo size, allowing for storage of more pictures on device.
BlackBerry to PC Import:
• Media Sync alerts users when new pictures are available to import when device is connected to PC (via pop-up on the pictures tab).
Highlights of Music sync with BlackBerry Media Sync:
• Sync Options include specific playlists or random music.
• iTunes and Windows Media Player compatible.
• Supports all media capable BlackBerry smartphones.
System Requirements (Windows):
• Windows Vista.
• Windows XP SP2 or later.
• Windows 7.
• iTunes version 7.7.1 or later.
• Windows Media® Player version 10 or later.
System Requirements (Mac)
• Mac OS X version 10.5.5 or later.
• iTunes version 7.7 or later.
Okay now for some impressions. When it comes to downloading pics from my BlackBerry to the PC, it was incredibly easy and smooth. Media Sync was able to download 228 pics from my device (most of them the largest size and superfine quality) in a matter of seconds. It took maybe 3 or 4 seconds to import the whole batch. The music sync experience is better, but I’m still not 100% on board with how music is handled between a desktop and BlackBerry. I know it’s all a legal issue with 2-way music syncing, but it would make the experience much better.