There have been a lot of rumors circulating about RIM’s big announcement and most of them point to RIM offering an inexpensive and watered down version of BES to BIS customers. The upcoming services will be aimed at giving out some of the enterprise functionality such as OTA sync, backup and restore and well as remote data wipe. Click through for the rumored details of the announcement.
- Different to small BES (BPS) in terms of features and version number (V4.1.6 versus V4.1).
- Supports a maximum of 30-users – same as BPS Express BUT seamless upgrade to BES NOT available.
- Only connects to MS-Exchange.
- Available in EFIGS languages.
- Server provided FREE of cost as a download.
- BIS devices can be connected to Magellan.
- Therefore SME Customer can book the BB-Prosumer Tariff for Enterprise Service.
- Customer has to pay $5 per user per month subscription, on-line, fee via RIM Portal.
- BB Prosumer Service Fee still needs to be paid by MNO to RIM.
A personal security device product that is user administered. BlackBerry Shield will address an existing solution gap in the BlackBerry by offering the ability for BIS wirelessly backup/restore for consumers. This product sounds very much like SmrtGuard, and considering they just made their product free, I wonder if they worked together.
- Over the Air calendar and contact Backup/Restore capabilities.
- Remote Kill for device data wipe.
- Shield will maintain carrier engagement as opposed to bypassing them.
- English for V1, FIGS for V2.
This news is supposed to go live tomorrow so we’ll wait and see what the announcement brings.