Basecamp is an incredibly effective and popular, web-based project management tool. The platform has needed a good BlackBerry app for some time now, and Kompass have created a mobile site to address this demand. Kompass has started selecting beta testers for their Kompass for Basecamp portal and it’s a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor and offer valuable feedback.
Some of the features you can expect from Kompass for Basecamp include:
- The company has taken a lot of time to make sure that Kompass looks and acts like a native application.
- Real Time Access – Kompass accesses your data in real time, so it only get’s what it needs when it needs it. Plus, any activity within Kompass is immediately available to everyone else.
- Kompass was developed by business owners that use Basecamp. If you operate a business then it’s likely that your employee’s have a mixture of devices. Until now, you had to rely on individual purchases of device specific software. With Kompass you will be able manage all your basecamp mobile users in one central location.
- Automatic Upgradse -With Kompass there isn’t anything to download or install.
- Because your information is stored with Basecamp and not on your mobile device your data is very secure.
- The structure of projects, messages, milestones and to-do lists will make the addition of mobile access to Basecamp feel as natural as using Basecamp itself.
It will be interesting to see how effective the web app will be. Personally, I find the browser can be an impediment to getting things done quickly, as the browser takes a while to load pages. On the other hand, I completely understand that a group of employees on Basecamp may not all use a BlackBerry, and the web portal overcomes this hurdle.