MMMOOO is a BlackBerry theme and app development company based out of Shanghai, China. MMMOOO’s developers have put together some awesome themes such as Snow Leopard, OS 6 and UltraToday Plus. The company has also developed some great apps such as SuperQWERTY. MMMOO has put together some tips for BlackBerry theme developers and together we’ll help make the theme market spectacular.
One of the most important things to remember as a theme designer, is that you’re a BlackBerry user. Though a theme can be very beautiful and fancy, ease of use is paramount and will go a long way in terms of customer satisfaction. Try to understand how users will interact with the theme and how it complements the navigation and user experience on the BlackBerry.
Here are 5 tips to help with your theme development:
1. It’s important to keep your BlackBerry themes as small memory-wise as possible. To make your theme size smaller, do not check the dither option in the background image. Make sure to use a 32-bit dithered png file in all of your elements as well. Since BlackBerry image files on device must be PNG format, the BlackBerry Theme Builder will convert all images into 32-bit dithered PNG file and this process will increase the size of a theme file.
2. When changing icons using the ‘Change All Icons’ option, remember that some icons need to be replaced manually.
3. On Storm models, if the ‘Application Banner’ height is bigger than the default (48px), the icons on the application screen will be only 3 rows and not the 4 rows by default.
4. If the font color in title bar and the color of cursor are the same, some elementa will be hard to recognize such as the BBM title.
5. When testing your theme, it’s better to use the font size as 7 or 6. If the font size is too big, the button will break.
Finally, the BlackBerry Theme Builder User Guide is a good resource. Read it before you start a theme! You will find most solutions and guides in it. If you still have questions, search on Google or ask the gurus on the BlackBerry Support Forums.