UPDATE: Link broken. We’ll update if another becomes available.
Facebook for BlackBerry isn’t the best application out there but it’s certainly one of the most popular. When we last heard about Facebook 1.8, rumors had it that there would be the following features:
- Faster load times
- Video uploading
- Replacing BIS-E notifications with BlackBerry Push APIs
Playing around with a leaked copy of version 126.96.36.199, there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of “faster load times” and the video uploading isn’t available. Considering this is leaked software, it isn’t surprising but hopefully version 1.8 will come with more than just vague performance improvements.
To try the leaked version for yourself, follow these basic instructions:
1. Make sure you have the latest official version of Facebook for Blackberry installed from blackberry.com/facebook.
2. Download the Facebook beta app OTA from [Sorry link no longer available].
3. When the download is finished and you are prompted to reboot, don’t.
4. Press the red call button to escape to the homescreen.
5. Go your Facebook app icon and click it.
6. Accept the terms and go into the app.
7. Once the app is running open the menu and select options then logout.
8. Re-run the app and input your login credentials to access Facebook.
9. Reboot your BlackBerry after the Facebook app fully loads.
10. Once your BlackBerry is up and running access the Facebook app again. It should now be version 188.8.131.52 without a keycode!
Be prepared for a very lengthy install process. The app froze the device for a while but eventually it worked just fine.