Facebook Places is now available in the newest version of Facebook for BlackBerry, which launches today. Over the next 24 hours, users will receive notices to upgrade to Facebook for BlackBerry v1.9, and the new version is also available for download in BlackBerry App World. New features of Facebook for BlackBerry v1.9 include:
- Facebook Places
- Check in, add a Place and tag friends
- Check in to Facebook Places within a 1.25 mile radius of your location
- Select a Place from the available Nearby Places or add a Place if location does not already exist in the Places database
- Tag a friend upon check in, and include a comment
- View Places where friends have checked in
- View Places, “Here Now”, “Nearby” and “Elsewhere”, that friends have checked in to
- “Like” or add a comment to friends’ check ins
- Check ins will appear in the News Feed
- GPS and BB Maps Integration
- View a map of the location you’re checking in to and get directions to and from friends’ locations.
- Perform a search for People and Pages within the application
- Find mutual friends and view their profile thumbnails by searching for individuals and pages; send them a friend request, a message or a poke.
- View pages in the Friends list and News Feed, and elect to become fans of pages
- Pull Facebook results using the Unified Search application on BlackBerry 6 smartphones
- Friends List Update
- View friends’ profile pictures as well as their Pages from the Friends list.
- UI Elements
- Use the redesigned navigation bar to easily view your own profile, and click on the Search and Message icons
The Places feature uses the BlackBerry GPS to determine the user’s location and therefore your device must have GPS and it must be enabled to use the feature. This is a little strange considering cell tower IDs are so common and you would think this feature would be used.
How do you find the new Facebook? Are there any features you still want that are missing?