In a recent post on the official Developer’s Blog, Mike Kirkup sums up the recent announcements surrounding the BlackBerry Platform and Dev Con Asia. The following announcements have been making headlines lately:
- The BlackBerry WebWorks SDK
- Updated Adobe AIR SDK for the PlayBook
- The free BlackBerry PlayBook tablet offer has been extended.
BlackBerry smartphone announcements:
- In-app payments are now available for beta testing.
- The BlackBerry Push Service SDK has been updated.
One of the more interesting tidbits of information provided in the post includes the fact that the BBM Social Platform, which we discussed back at Dev Con 2010, will have a beta SDK available in Q1 of this year.
The BBM Social Platform makes a lot of sense from an app and especially gaming position. There are a ton of games out there that use an in-game chat system, which would be best served by BBM. Another interesting application of the BBM Social SDK would be a dating platform. There are a ton of dating and PIN sharing sites out there, and they would all kill for a chance to be able to use the BBM Social Platform to connect their users in-app.