Jim Dog overseeing the fun.
The PlayBook is a great tablet. Don’t listen to the haters. It’s a rock solid piece of hardware and the software has huge potential. The problems with it stem from the fact that it’s a brand new OS and still needs a few updates. Recently, BlackBerry users were sent a pretty big update to the PlayBook and it improves many of the features you use on the device such as Facebook, App World, charging the device and video chat connectivity. These updates are welcome and we’re looking forward to more. Hopefully the summer vacation season won’t slow down QNX and we’ll see another big update soon.
New BlackBerry PlayBook OS v1.0.5 features include:
- Facebook for BlackBerry PlayBook — The first Facebook app optimized for tablets now comes preloaded and introduces new features including video uploading, message deletion, Facebook search enhancements and more
- In-App Payments Support — Enables developers to create apps for the BlackBerry PlayBook using the BlackBerry Payment Service, which will allow users to purchase enhancements within apps such as another level in a game or a new edition of a magazine
- Additional Language Support — Updates language support to include: French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch and UK English
- BlackBerry PlayBook Charging Enhancements — By simply touching the battery indicator on the BlackBerry PlayBook home screen, users can easily adjust the screen brightness or choose to restart, turn off, or put the tablet into standby mode. Other charging improvements include the ability to charge the PlayBook while it is turned off, as well as an on-screen alert to notify users if they accidentally have plugged in an incorrect charger into their BlackBerry PlayBook
- Video Chat Connectivity — Adds support for the TURN (Traversal Using Relay NAT) protocol, which enhances Video Chat connections between users on home, public and enterprise Wi-Fi networks
- Wi-Fi Hotspot Detection — Automatic Wi-Fi hotspot detection in the BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.5 makes it easier to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot (at a coffee shop or an airport, for example)
Updating the PlayBook for new users is a breeze and it’s all automatic. Existing users will receive a software update notification on the BlackBerry PlayBook status ribbon, or they can check for the software update at any time in the settings menu under Software Updates.