BlackBerry 7 looks just like OS 6 but the software performance is tweaked and the overall experience is much faster. When you’re browsing the homescreen and switching between screens, the device performs really well. One of the downsides of OS 6 was the lag you experienced when perusing the apps; but this is gone now. BlackBerry 7 also brings with it the new APIs that will help developers make more engaging apps such as Augmented Reality apps. Another major advantage in BlackBerry 7 is the updated web browser. Browsing on a BlackBerry 7 device is much faster and the browser is around 40% better than the browser with BlackBerry 6.
The real downside to all of this is that there are still a few major issues we have with the BlackBerry Platform and its user experience that are simply not addressed in the latest OS. For example, the devices still take a long time to boot up and downloading apps still makes your device nearly unusable. Alsop, while it’s great to see new APIs being released for BlackBerry 7, there doesn’t seem to be any news around improving the developer tools. BlackBerry developers are still stuck with some major frustrations such as having to use the awful simulators.
Click through for a few reasons why you should or should not care about BlackBerry 7.
Why you should care:
- If your device can upgrade, you should be able get the benefits of better performance.
- The web browser is much better with BlackBerry 7. The checkerboarding is almost completely gone.
- Augmented Reality APIs and Wikitude make for a really fun BBM experience.
Why you shouldn’t care:
- It’s not QNX and it’s still feels a lot like OS 6.
- BlackBerry 7 devices will not be able to upgrade to QNX.
- Performance still negatively impacted when downloading apps.
- Apps still require a reboot after installation.
- BlackBerry Maps didn’t seem any better. It was hard to test because the maps didn’t even load (could have been a network issue).
- The device still takes too long to boot.
Still want to know:
- Will themes be any better on BlackBerry 7?
- Also not sure if performance is any better when handling many apps.
What else do you want to know?