The BBM Music App is official and we’re told beta testers will have access today. The app is pretty incredible in terms of features and what it does for the music industry. Sure, there are plenty of social music services out there, but leveraging the BBM platform is going to create an entirely unique service that only RIM can provide. Click through to continue reading about this amazing new service, how you can get in on it and screenshots.
Click to make larger
We’ve been hearing rumors about it and now the BBM Music Service is official and announced. Everything we heard about the service is true: for $5, you get 50 songs and access to a catalog of music that will be around 10 million songs total. There will also be at least one month free for every user that signs up for the service.
The way the BBM Music Service works is simple. When you sign up for the service, you get to choose your 50 songs from the catalog. You then begin to socialize with others around your music experience and meet new people. When you add friends, you also get access to their 50 songs. As users socialize more, their catalog of songs they have access to and can listen to for free grows. This encourages you to make more friends and it also motivates you to promote the app to your friends so you can also listen to their 50 songs.
One aspect of this service that we believe will be really powerful that RIM may not have considered, is that it will be a powerful promotional tool for artists. Using the service, DJs and anyone in the music industry can promote themselves on the service and gain followers. They will then be able to add these friends not only to their BBM Music Service network, but also to their BBM contact list. Imagine a DJ that says “follow me on the BBM Music Service to listen to my favorite tracks. Also, add me to BBM and get access to VIP deals.”
Key features of BBM Music include:
- Build a personal music profile with 50 of your favorite songs. You can refresh your profile by swapping out up to 25 songs each month.
- Invite your BBM friends to subscribe to BBM Music and to join your BBM Music Community.
- With each friend that is added to BBM Music, you grow your music collection since the songs from the profile of each BBM Music friend are available to you at any time.
- Up to 50 tracks from your personal profile are shared with your BBM Music Community, and each member of your community shares up to 50 songs from their profile with you.
- Enjoy a truly social community-based music experience – the more friends who join your community, the more songs you can listen to.
- Easily discover music that your BBM Music friends are listening to, and comment on your friends? songs and playlists.
- You can create multiple playlists from music in your profile as well as all of your friends? profiles, and with one click you can shuffle the entire collection of music from your BBM Music Community. You can even see which friend contributed each song while it plays.
- Within your BBM Music app, you also see a visual timeline that shows the recent updates of all users within your community. It gives you a chronological view of community updates, including who added new friends, which songs were added or removed, which playlists were created and what comments were made by your BBM Music friends.
A closed (limited) beta trial of the BBM Music service is starting today in Canada, the United States and the UK. The BBM Music service is expected to be commercially available to customers later this year for a monthly subscription of $4.99 USD in Australia, Canada, Columbia, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, UAE, the United Kingdom and the United States.
For more information about BBM Music, and to sign up to be notified of its availability in your country, please visit blackberry.com/bbmmusic.
We’ll have a Beta Review of the service shortly so stay tuned.