The smartphone era has brought us closer to our favourite celebrities than ever before thanks to Twitter. It’s also allowed us to follow along with our athlete friends’ adventures when they compete in big events thanks to onboard GPS and connected apps like Runtastic for BlackBerry.
Sports that take place over longer distances don’t really make the best spectator sport. If you’ve ever had to cheer on friends or family at a marathon you know that the stands they set up towards the finish line covers the best part of the run but just a fragment of the race.
Runtastic comes in free and paid flavours, and comes loaded with features that any sports enthusiast will find impressive. Here’s some of the features:
- Track activities via GPS: records time, distance, calories burned, speed and elevation
- View your current position on a map (uses BlackBerry maps)
- Use graphs to analyze your Pace, Elevation, Speed and Heart Rate throughout an activity
- compatible with Polar Wearlink+ Bluetooth, Zephyr HxM and the new runtastic heart rate monitor
- Voice feedback call out distance, time and pace in English, German, Spanish, French and Italian
- Real time tracking of your position; let your family and friends see where you are and how you are performing
- Now your friends can cheer you up and motivate you during a Live Tracking activity using www.runtastic.com or social networks
- BBM connected app: keep your BBM contacts in the loop about how you’re training
- Configurable dashboard lets you hide unused metrics
- Integrated music player
- Countdown timer if you need time to bury your BlackBerry in your backpack