UPDATE: I’m getting word from friends that happen to live and work in the Waterloo area (wink) that the ‘Gemini’ codename does not actually refer to the 3G Curve 9300 but another EDGE device. Regardless the actual codename, it is still a sexy device. If anyone can clarify the name discrepancy fully, send us a message.
Mmmhmm, isn’t that a sexy new BlackBerry to make a cold Monday in February just a wee bit warmer. The Boy Genius has uncovered one of the first BlackBerry rumors of the New Year, the BlackBerry 9300 ‘Gemini’, which can most easily be considered a “3G BlackBerry Curve.” Sounds tasty. Here’s what BG has uncovered on the Gemini so far:
* The screen will be larger than the BlackBerry 8900, and that will also include a higher resolution
* The CPU will also be beefed up. We’re not sure if this means it will include something more powerful than the Bold’s 624MHz processor or not, but we’d like to think so.
* The device is said to be silver (think BlackBerry 8830)
* The keyboard is a little more rounded than the BlackBerry 8900
* The Send/End keys are rounded instead of being flat on the sides
* Styling is not drastically different — it keeps with the 8900/Storm styling
* It of course rocks quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE, and tri-band UMTS/HSDPA
* Wi-Fi and GPS was not confirmed, but we’d say there’s about a 99.99% chance
* Camera specs were not confirmed as well, but you can bet you’re looking at 3.2 megapixels or better
No word on a release date (pretty understandable considering how recently the BlackBerry Curve 8900 was release), but BG has guesstimated a potential Q4 ‘09/Q1 ‘10 drop date. We’ll let you know as we learn more.