We had some great articles on BlackBerry Cool this week and just in case you missed them, here is a quick reminder post.
Tag: featuresPage 2 of 2
While RIM releases device after device that combines form factors, we’re still waiting for them to include new features in the hardware and software. Adding these components will add to the price, but they also unlock a plethora of possibilities for developers. Lets look at some basic hardware and software features that will make the BlackBerry experience better.
Video Out: There are several smartphones on the market that support video out and it has great potential for the device. Not only can you attach peripherals to the video out such as a projector and television, but you can also have the video output interact with an application. An app that combines your device’s camera with a projector, could have Project Natal potential on a smaller scale.
Compass: The iPhone 3GS compass is a seemingly minor upgrade to the device, but again, it’s great for developers. Augmented Reality is the future of how we interact with the real world using our device and the compass makes these apps much easier to make.
Dual Touchscreen/QWERTY: A Bold-like device with a touchscreen has been rumored to be in development but we haven’t seen any proof. A dual touchscreen/QWERTY device has huge implications for the end user in terms of experience, but it also has big implications for developers. Being able to develop an application with a smooth touchscreen interface and QWERTY input is the best of both worlds.
I leave it to you BlackBerry Nation. What features would you like to see RIM implement?
Social networking has become a popular component of Viigo. In Tango 9, Release 3, Viigo introduced a feature rich Twitter client. With this new feature, you can initiate a tweet, follow the public timeline, your friends timeline or your followers timeline. You can also view direct messages, favorite messages, mentions and more.
Here is a breakdown of features available:
- Follow the public timeline, your friends timeline (home) or your followers timeline.
- Read Direct Messages, Favorite Messages and Mentions
- Initiate a Tweet, Retweet and Retweet all
- Perform searches on key words so you can see when people are discussing a topic of interest to you.
- See whether a person is following you, or not, by the color of the text (green being yes and red being no).
- See if a person has been validated by Twitter
- If there is a picture added to a tweet it will appear within the post.
- If the tweet included a hash tag the hash tag will also automatically appear in your reply.
- The reply all feature will show up automatically if more than one person was included in a tweet.
Getting set up to use Twitter in Viigo is easy:
- From within Social Networks select add a channel. From the list of available channels select Twitter. Then select Add Account.
- Enter your Twitter username and password, then select all the options I spoke of earlier that you would like included.
- To include a search select add search then type in the word you want to search on.