IDC’s latest report shows Research in Motion in the in the top 5 of all mobile handset makers in the world. RIM has been in the Top 10 Smartphone Manufactuers list for some time and now, but making the top 5 handset makers in the world is a really significant benchmark. RIM is the only company on this list that manufacturers only smartphones, making the numbers all the more impressive. The smartphone market is growing at a pretty incredible rate, and it looks like RIM is well positioned to take on the growth.
Here are some quick facts about RIM from the report:
- RIM shipped 10.6 million units in Q1.
- Total shipments surpassing those of Motorola by nearly 2 million units.
- Highest average selling prices within the group.
- Key to its success in the first quarter was the popularity of its BlackBerry Curve 8520 and BlackBerry Bold 9700 across multiple markets as well as its global prepaid offerings.
- Strong consumer adoption, particularly among text-crazy teens, has also fuelled demand for BlackBerry devices.
Read the press release after the jump.
Continue reading ‘Research in Motion in the Top 5 Handset Manufacturers in the World’