Blackberry Software, Reviews, and News!

Google Launches Google Local For Blackberry

Google Local for Mobile is now available for the Blackberry. The new program combines directions, maps, and satellite imagery of the original desktop Google Local into a much more friendlier mobile version. The new program is very slick with new smaller tiles making downloading quicker and a user interface which is very easy to use. Unfortunately, we couldn’t test out Google Local in the Blackberry simulator so there are no available screenshots. But believe us when we say this is the best mapping program for the Blackberry, what else would you expect from Google.

To download, point your Blackberry browser to:

11 Responses to “Google Launches Google Local For Blackberry”

1. Bill Andrews
    January 9th, 2006 11:33

No support for the 7520!

2. Donna Buckmeier
    January 9th, 2006 12:18

I used the 7290 version on my 7250 and it works great, thanks!

3. jj
    January 9th, 2006 14:13

apparently nobody likes us Nextel people.

4. Kyle
    January 9th, 2006 14:31

I think Nextel is banning Google Local because it has a few pay services of it’s own that directly compete with Google like Telenav. So don’t expect Google to be available for Nextel anytime soon.

5. billy
    January 9th, 2006 15:21

It says on the site it does not work with Verizon, Alltel, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular or Palm Devices. (BREN -enabled phones)…

That seems like a pretty large group of people of which I fall into……. ahh to bad

6. squished18
    January 9th, 2006 16:27

Works very well on the 8700r; fast and pretty. Except Search function not enabled for Canada yet (as documented within the FAQ). So now I have both J2MEMap and Google Local Mobile installed.

7. Kelvin
    January 9th, 2006 16:44

Hmm. I just installed on my T-Mobile provided 7290, and so far, it seems to run ok…

8. Ali
    January 10th, 2006 01:22

Billy, it says “and all color BlackBerry devices regardless of carrier”.. the BREW devices are not Blackberries. Cheers, -Ali

9. Scully
    January 10th, 2006 13:05

I have this running on my 7250 on a BES on Bell Mobility. It’s awesome!
    Only issue I had was trying to route from Toronto to OKC, said “route too far”

10. Melissa Ox
    January 10th, 2006 23:33

I have it on my T Mobile 7100t. I haven’t gotten the directions feature to work yet, but the search was working fine.

11. Bill
    January 11th, 2006 18:07

Works great on my T-Mobile 7100t. The direction feature is a bit confusing. You have to click on “Type an address” and then choose Select from the menu. A white text entry screen comes up that has text in parentheses. I looks like you need to delete this, but you don’t. Just start typing the address here. When you are done, click the wheel again and choose Accept. That will add the address. Do the same for the end point, and you are done!

Thanks Google!